New York University’s Center for Technology and Economic Development (CTED) held its Fourth Annual Meeting on February 25, 2014 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Abu Dhabi. The aim of this year’s event was to highlight the possibilities for innovative technologies to contribute to emerging regions’ economic development, within the context of CTED’s five main research areas: Finance, Education, Energy, Agriculture and Health.
The event also showcased CTED’s ongoing research and collaborative efforts in the UAE, Pakistan, India, Ghana, Ethiopia and the USA. The meeting’s interdisciplinary programme brought together scholars, practitioners and distinguished guests and friends of CTED. A number of our esteemed Advisory Council members were able to join us as well, including: Dr. Zarrouk, Chief Economist at the Islamic Development Bank; Sudhir Shetty, Chief Operating Officer of Global Operations at the UAE Exchange; and Tim Gollin, Managing Director at One Equity Partners LLC.
The programme included presentations by Dr. Yaw Nyarko, Tiffany Tong, Dr. Lakshminarayana Subramanian, Nicole Hildebrandt, and Sunandan Chakraborty on topics including:
- The Economics of the Food Crop Network in a Small Developing Nation (Ghana)
- Experience of Designing a Mobile GIS Mapping Tool for Rural Farmers in Ghana
- Fine-grained Dengue Surveillance with Citizen-Driven Data in Lahore, Pakistan
- Summarization Search: A New Search Abstraction for Mobile Devices
- Information is Power? Impact of SMS-based Market Information System on Farmers in Ghana